Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Avantgarde speaker users ........

>>>'The phase switch in the older models has been replaced by switchable subsonic filter. The 3-position subsonic-switch allows you to limit the bass response to 20 Hz, 25 Hz or 30 Hz. The system is normally operated in the 20 Hz position. Although the phase switch is no longer available, you will have the same functionality, by simply reverting (sic) the phase on the input terminals of the subwoofer module'. <<<

This is a cool added feature and one I wished I had!

>>>I was under the impression that swapping across the input terminals would reverse polarity, and that phase and polarity are not the same thing. Have I got that wrong?<<<

All the phase switch offered was a 180 degree phase change, exactly the same as reversing polarity on the speaker input. It is actually a redundant feature to have a phase polarity switch. That's why it's better to dump that and have a more useful subsonic filter.

>>>From your experience with using AG speakers, do you consider the omission of a phase switch on the subs to be a possible limitation?<<<

Absolutely not. You're getting more, and are not being limited in any way EXCEPT for the MINOR convenience of quickly flipping polarity with a switch rather than swap connection leads to hear the change. I actually felt the polarity switch to be a little silly since it doesn't offer any real usefulness.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Avantgarde speaker users ........ - Kurt Strain 08:30:41 06/13/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.