Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Round 80hz exponential horn usage 100 hz to 500 hz

Spruce would be ideal but probably too expensive. Poplar might be fine but it is not as stable. I fear oak is much too hard and again I would worry how much it would move as time goes by. I think you want a little "give" in the horn which the poplar, unlike almost all hardwoods, would allow. Oak would be very expensive and very heavy. I think one is better off adding mass with wall thickness with the fir.

John Inlow, maker of the papier mache horn, will be making a set of horns for me where his plan is to glue up 2 X 4 framing lumber (douglas fir) and then to cut the circles to make the horn. He is waiting for some trick woodworking machine before starting. I am waiting patiently.

I would think this to be plenty good for both of our applications.

Who is going to do the fabrication? If you are doing it yourself you have my admiration. If not, you should contact Mr. Inlow (inlowsound.com) to hear what he thinks.

I had a pair of horns made by a fellow in Hungary which required a tremendous amount of work to be usable and are still not right which is why I am going to try it again. I offer this as a warning not to jump too quickly if not doing this yourself.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.