Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

anyone heard Rockville SPG88 8" 2 ways?

i'm looking to supplement my very nice sounding 96dB proel flash 8P (celestion based) speakers with another pair of light but efficient 2 ways. i WISH the proels didn't sell out at the awesome $100 price i paid for the pair plus shipping at MCM before i could check them out. i'd likely have to pay close to $500 to get another pair of these great italian speakers.

i recently bought a $50 pair of 88dB 6 1/2" JBL northridge i intended to supplement my proel mains with, but they aren't very efficient and compared to the proels, aren't quite as high quality, especially in the treble, though they do extend lower in the bass not factoring efficiency in.

the system i'm building will have a sub, so bass isn't that much of an issue. i couldn't find any demos for the SPG88s online, but a pair of their larger siblings, possibly active, sounded pretty nice up against a pair of behringers with their improved clarity if lower bass output, and i listened to another 3 way shootout where behringers acquitted themselves nicely against more expensive (EV & JBL i think) rivals.

the SPG88s are only $100 a pair and within an easy stretch of my budget, but i was hoping that maybe someone here has had the chance to audition rockvilles and could offer a better idea if they're at least decent sounding in person, or if they have some kind of nasty distortion lofi youtube videos can't pick up.

i'd like something better sounding than kmart MTX and piezo tweeters. i'm not looking for the last word in fidelity, just speakers that sound decent. anyone have experience with rockvilles?

PS, i'm NOT interested in larger or MDF cabinet 2 ways as space & weight are issues for my needs, and i'd prefer 8" midrange clarity over higher SPLs and lower bass extension. i'm looking for high efficiency minimonitors basically. if rockvilles aren't worth it, i'll stick with the good enough JBLs to squeeze another dB or 2 out of my system.

thanks in advance for your help. i'm guessing rockvilles are off everyone's radar here, but if you ever see a cheap pair of proels, GRAB 'EM!!! they're not toys by any stretch!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - anyone heard Rockville SPG88 8" 2 ways? - thump 02:54:09 02/03/17 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.