Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Craig,

What your saying doesn't really surprise me.

My Esquires sound better with a tube amp too and the debate continues as to why that is but I really never got involved with that because I've always preferred the sound with tubes so that's a useless debate for me to take part in or worry about.

I have two transistor amps, one 60 watts per channel and the other 200 watts per channel that only come out of the closet when I want reconfirm that I prefer tubes and so do the speakers I have.

My Esquires sound "full" all the time like there's upper bass that never goes away. With real deep bass in the source they sound like they are going deeper than they really are and the effect is quite convincing.

I attribute that to the overall design and trying to get a reasonably full ranged speaker at a price point into a small sealed box.

The T35B Tweeter with the pot at full should pierce through all that and give some "sparkle" or a sense of air but the full sound is still there.
Maybe the new caps will change that?

Without seeing the RCA speakers and how they are in their enclosures I can't comment on those other than to say that I'm not surprised that you say they sound somewhat more open or airy. But you'll probably find that the Regals are more capable of doing real deep bass better.

The renewed interest in the AR3A bookshelf speaker with a pair going for $1000 plus is an example of a speaker that I wouldn't call open or airy but it does deeper bass well and it has a sound that some may call linear because the bass, mid and treble blend well for a smooth sound without anything jumping out. You could also call the boring or un-involving.

There's a compromise in lots of speakers old and new and some companies pulled it off better than others. The Infinity Qb bookshelf speaker comes to mind from around 1978 that compromised the deeper bass while retaining a good bass presence that sounds clean and fast, the mids are open and clean and the highs come through with detail without harshness.

On another topic, but one that is directly related to how your speakers sound, if your Marantz and RCA still have all their original components they probably aren't doing what they could do.
In the Marantz at least the power supply caps would be suspect and in the tube RCA it would be power supply caps, the rectifier and related cap in the output tube bias supply if there is one, output tube coupling caps and the tubes themselves.

So basically you want to have the amp provide the punch and available power it was meant to deliver and without the distortions due to parts that have passed their useful lifetime. In this case we are talking about electrolytic caps and output tube coupling caps ARE a candidate to change even if they are film and foil because if they fail your going to lose output tubes.

Edits: 01/12/17 01/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.