Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Dave

Digging through my archives here I ran across an old download from the EV discontinued products website of the spec sheet for the 12W, 12BW and 12WK. The same pic represents the 12W and 12WK with their big 3 lb magnets, but the 12 BW is different in that it has a smaller 1 lb magnet. The nominal impedance for all three is 16 Ohms, however the DCR for the 12W and 12BW is listed at 11.6 Ohms, but the 12WK is listed at 3.2 Ohms! It's mentioned that the 12WK is intended for a "Klipsch type enclosure" but that still seems quite a bit of a stretch.

The wiring schematic for a 3 way (which is kinda hard to see, or I'd post a scan) shows a T25 or a T10 mid driver on an 8HD horn, and it shows the mid wired with reverse polarity indicating a 2nd order crossover, and it looks like an X8 (800 Hz) and X36 (3500 Hz) are used though it's hard to see. I dunno why they didn't call the mid crossover an X35, but there may have already been another former model with that appellation.

There's another hint in the operation section: "The 16 Ohm impedance of the driver units is a standard RETMA rating and is indicative of the voice coil impedance at crossover frequency. A mismatch by as much as 40% may be made without affecting the reproduction or efficiency of the unit". I guess they didn't figure the audiophiles of the future would be so picky about this stuff.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.