Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: anyone have experience with DS18 midranges?

"you don't want a cheap poly cone, and the rubber surrounds have the highest mass of all surrounds."

oh YES i do!

1st off, i will NEVER under any circumstances EVER do literally rotten foam. second, i'm an acoustic suspension fan, so rubber is the way to go. i'd rather go with doped paper than poly, but for the super low price on those drivers, i can compromise, and i'd go with poly cones before aluminum on anything but a sub maybe any day. actually, it was a pair of 4 1/2" poly coned infinity minis that got me into hifi because they imaged like crazy and had the fastest and lowest distortion bass i'd ever heard and i used to visit 4 different hifi shops before being wowed by
minis.

besides, 4.5 stars at 66 reviews isn't shabby. i'm not expecting scan speak grade sound, i live in the real world, but if they can get that high a rating with that many votes, they can't be bad, and remember, the "competition" is using 12" "mids" and piezo tweeters. i'll buy a sample to test before committing to building a system around them.

in the past, i gambled on a bunch of super cheap 5" sony boombox woofers on closeout at PE, and they didn't sound shabby at all. if they weren't in a box in another state, i'd use those.

"you don't want stamped steel baskets"

oh yes i do! cast baskets are HEAVY! this is for a bicycle system where every extra pound will be felt, especially on inclines. compromises have to be made to save weight, and the crazy amount i'm going to have to invest to switch to lithium ion with enough amp hours to run a 500w+ system and save weight over AGM precludes my going nuts on $50+ drivers all around if i ever want to get this rolling in my lifetime.

as it stands, i've been piecing together phase 1 of this system over a year by now, and this one will cost a fraction of what 2.0 will cost. even if i found work tomorrow, it would take at least 3 months to be able to afford system 2.0, and i want to be rolling by summer.

Edits: 01/01/17 01/01/17 01/01/17 01/01/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: anyone have experience with DS18 midranges? - thump 16:29:15 01/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.