Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: anyone have experience with DS18 midranges?

for the prices of the entry level DS18s, they sound too good to be true, and their tweeters look like rebranded cheap pyle/pyramid JBL clones.

i'm familiar with all the well known high efficiency drivers... eminence, B&C, EV, selenium and even peavy and am a little partial to celestion because of my experience with a pair of nice sounding 8" home 2 ways and my proel mini DJ speaker drivers which don't sound sloppy or screechy at all, but rather detailed and laid back.

sadly, the brand names aren't as cheap, and their midrange frequency response graphs look pretty lame from the ones i've seen, but they have proven their worth in sound re-enforcement for decades.

so, you'd say eminence gear outperforms the other brands then?

my basic instinct is always to just stick with conventional hifi drivers and use the 3dB every time you double rule to get the efficiency up. i'm especially inclined to go that route as i see PE has 88db 6.5" poly woofers with rubber surrounds for an INSANE $5 each! for $40, i could get 8 of those for 97dB without the compromises of high efficiency drivers. PLUS, they're designed for acoustic suspension and i'm the the most bass reflex hating person on the planet probably. that, and i could hit 94dB at 4 ohms with just 4 drivers per channel at $20 and perfectly mate with a 4 ohm 94dB air motion tweeter. i haven't read any reviews yet, but 4.5 at 66 isn't shabby as far as ratings go.

there's more than one way to get high efficiency, and at the silly closeout price PE is offering, i'm liking that route. if nothing else, those woofers dig deeper and reach higher besides being acoustic suspension friendly which would add warmth for my intended use. one other potential perk is that they should mate better with my poly sub than mixing driver types.

i hate the idea of buying a bunch of drivers i don't intend to use right away. i still have a box of a ton of cheap 5 inch sony boombox woofers in storage i never used.

Edits: 12/31/16 12/31/16 12/31/16 12/31/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.