Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Looking to integrate units for midbass system

Hi Tom, thanks for the post.

I sold off the two BT-7 cabs almost ten years ago (strictly for parts supply reasons, although nothing ever went wrong with them). They were a dream to use. I still wish I had them.

I got them second hand and the only thing I ever did to them was put new foam tape along where the module sealed with the horn. That seemed to improve the upper bass response.

I eventually sold them off to a guy who worked with a children's camp. He had amassed a substantial collection of BT-7s, and was looking for more backup units to have on hand. It seemed like a good place for them to end up.

Over the years I really scaled things down. For now my system is just a pile of passively crossed over Community RS220 mains: (two 8" lower mids, a 2" compression upper mid, and a 1" compression tweeter - all horn loaded). For subs I have a pile of small 15" front-loaded cabs (EAW SB150). I originally got these for smaller indoor gigs.

I was just thinking about what could be used or built to augment the midbass for bigger gigs. (This in addition to newer large subs yet to be determined). Perhaps for now just use these single 15" subs at ground plane??

This is in lieu of my mains speakers having any actual bass capability. The payoff though is that these mains are light enough for me to lift onto a normal crank-up tripod.

So for now there are really two systems, using the same tops:

------

SYSTEM 1: current small system (indoors spaces only):

(2) RS220 - one per side, free space on tripods
150Hz-up

(2) SB150 - ground plane
33Hz-300Hz (newer version says 34Hz to 145Hz, driver specs go higher though)

version 1: RCF L15P200AK

http://www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=cf37f69a-5542-4d54-97a3-cd1ac2b1b661&groupId=216492

version 2: Eighteensound 15LW1401

http://www.eighteensound.it/DesktopModules/GeminoAEB/API/CreatePDF/CreatePDF?UrlSource=http://www.eighteensound.com/PrintProd/eid/3359&FileName=15LW1401&UrlFooter=http://www.eighteensound.com/print_footer.html

Ashly Protea crossover point: (used for both 15" subs and tops): 121 Hz 24dB BW

---------------------------

SYSTEM 2: prior "large" system

(4) RS220 - two per side, free space on tripods
150Hz-up

(2) LA400 - one per side, ground plane
45Hz-200Hz

(2) Servodrive BT-7 - together in front of stage, ground plane, mono aux
Recommended Crossover Slope:
>18 dB/oct < 125 Hz

DBX Driverack Crossover points:

LF 19.7HZ BW24 (aux channel, mono)
114HZ BW24

MB 81.1 HZ BW24
182 HZ BW24

TOP 136 HZ BW12

This wasn't a textbook or rider-friendly setup by any means, it was just me being hired to do sound for some friends in a parking lot car show concert. We had 36" tall stages. I took some liberties with frequency overlap by ear. The BT-7 subs in particular, since they were on a dedicated sub channel. They said it was the best they ever sounded.

I only needed to use the horn-loaded midbass channel very sparingly, so that is why I think I might be able to use conventional front-loaded subs at ground plane to do the same thing. Albeit at a higher level, but then again augmented by ground plane.

---------------------------

SYSTEM 3: theoretical revised "large" system:

(4) RS220 - two per side, free space on tripods
150Hz-up

(2-4) SB150 as needed, ground plane
33Hz-300Hz

(2) successors to BT-7, ground plane

Crossover points here would probably be similar to previous "large" system, but with different delay, levels.

This is just in theoretical stages for me. It would allow me to use what I already have. As for my question here, I just don't know how much this makes sense for me to be using front-loaded 15" subs in vented cabinets for midbass, to integrate big efficient horn-loaded subs with efficient horn-loaded tops.

Thanks

Edits: 12/10/16 12/11/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Looking to integrate units for midbass system - NoMoreDisasters 19:11:30 12/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.