Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

More to this than I thought.

I measured all the crossover values, and the driver impedances at crossover frequencies.

Simulated using Passive Crossover Designer 7, It turns out the crossover is designed with a high Q to compensate for the peak the port creates, by creating its own peak at 300 - 400 Hz, rather than being designed for flat response. The two peaks together sum to a fairly flat response during the woofer pass band.

My info isn't good enough to do a full simulation, but I get the impression that the crossover is compensating for the peak the port creates, which would make the overall frequency response much flatter than simulating the box alone would let on.

In other words, I think I will stay with using a port for my rebuild - at least for now. And my apologies to the Sansui engineers who I thought badly of when I critisized the box design! I think they just sacrified a little flatness for sensitivity, rather than making a one note bass design.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.