Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Sansui SP-3005 project confusion

Maxhifi,

I bought a quite similar pair of Sansuis a decade ago, with both dual (different) mid "squawkers" and two tweeters, the only way for the woofer to "keep up" with that racket was the high Fb.

As was mentioned, a lot of the Sansui cabinets came home with Vietnam vets, after listening to helicopters, machine guns and land mines, they liked their rock & roll LOUD, and the Sansui's delivered.

Considering most Pop, Rock & R&B vinyl records of the time had little content below 50 Hz (other than warped records ;^) ) 65-70 Hz is missing only about 1/3 octave of content. The Altec Lansing A7 "Voice of the Theater" was tuned in that range too, as were most PA cabinets of the era. The Sansui at least used ducted ports, it was more common to just cut holes in the cabinet, 3/4" deep "ducts" were typical.

Things have changed gradually through the decades, used to be a solid 40 Hz was the "real deal", then around 1990 bass players started adding a 31 Hz Low B string to keep up with all the synth basses, now even bluegrass recordings have plenty of 25 Hz content.

Art

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.