Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Another recommendation

This is a great thread with lots of useful advice. Just to muddy the waters a bit, if we are talking DIY versions of Altecs, I recommend using a 15" Jensen P15LL woofer instead of the Altec 414. I started out with a 414-8G (Alnico) with a 32B horn and 802-8G driver, in a 3.2 cu ft bass reflex cabinet. That worked out fine once I started using the Altec crossover from the 9849 speaker which used the same drivers and a 32B horn. The one complaint I had with it was the bass was not as weighty and satisfying as I liked. Eventually I switched the 414 woofer to a Jensen P15LL in the same cabinet with the same BR tuning. The Jensen gives me the low frequency weight and extension that I was missing with the 414. The crossover has to be reworked to accommodate the 16 ohm woofer but I still use the equalization network from the 9849 crossover. That eq network is very important to get the full potential out of the 32/802 combination. The crossover changes make this a DIY project instead of a standard Altec but the results are worth the effort in my opinion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.