Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: VOT A7 compared to Edgarhorns Titan

According to your system profile you already have the Edgarhorn Titan ll's plus the Seismic subwoofer, so this apparently makes you Altec curious. I've heard both and I would say that it's no contest with the Edgars being the winners, and this is not a knock against the Altec VOT which many consider the loudspeaker of the 20th century, myself included. By comparison a basic A7 rig would be quite a bit lighter in the bass, though a comparison between a horn sub and a vented box (which the A7 is on the bottom end) is really not fair to say the least. On first hearing a VOT I always notice that the highs are rolled off, as there is no tweeter, but I always wind up forgetting about this after hearing some music, and oddly enough I don't miss the highs after awhile. The Edgars, with their symmetrical midrange horns and tweeters, will have more of a focused soundstage, though the imaging of the Altecs is certainly adequate as long as the room is'nt too small with a lot of reflection off the side walls. Many VOT rigs in the home wind up being "hot rodded", and acquiring a horn sub and tweeters, and at this point the comparison becomes difficult, and it's down to personal taste and how much DIY work one wants to do. The Edgars were sold as a completed "turn key" system however, and were certainly a fantastic deal price wise, when you could spend much more on a pair of "recommended component list" direct radiator boxes and get performance inferior in every way IMHO. It's a shame that more people haven't heard the Edgars, or even a well set up VOT rig for that matter.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.