Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

problem with first order network

As you can read in my late posts, I've replaced the LaScala bass bins I've been using for years with Peavey FH-1 bins.
The reason was I always found the lS side walls to vibrate too much as some frequencies, blurring the sound and sometimes even buzzing.

Globally I'm happier with the FH-1 sound BUT (in audio there's no free lunch it seems, and most "improvements" come at a price) the FH-1 is so much better it seems to hive a higher bandwith in the mid frequencies, letting much more mid sounds come trough. This isn't a bad thing per se, and is proof of the better construction of the horn

BUT:

...I'm using ALK "Universal" (the expensive original version) networks and it is a 400Hz first order network.
I never had any problem with the LS bass bins because those were acoustically killing the mid frequencies above 400/500Hz before they could reach out the box... FH-1 doesn't kill them, and it does lead to some honky cavernous sounds with some instruments / vocals.

The Universal network from ALK is a great network plus it allows for easy setting of the squawker level; it is expensive and I don't wish to part with it (them).

I'm a little bit bugged as the same network is used by Belle Klispch owners, and the Belle's bass horn is much more alike to the FH-1 with corner reflectors and all, and most likely reaches as high as the latter in the midrange (that's why Klipsch could use a 500Hz midrange horn, instead of 400Hz)

still most people are happy with Universal networks in their Belles, and Klipsch first networks for the belle were the A and AA wich are first order on the woofers.

So what are my options?

1) would it be possible to mod the ALK Universal network and make it 12dB/octave on the woofer only, without completely screwing up the rest?

2) should I buy (or build) separate AP12-400 networks from ALK wich would create a 12dB/oct filter on the bass, and use those in combination with the Universals, as recommended by Al K. on his website (but that would be a very $$$ option)?

3) is there a way to acoustically reduce the midrange coming trough the bass horns, maybe using foam on the corner reflectors or something, but tha would be very light correction with no control over the results?

4) coming back to the Klipsch bass horns is always an option but that decidedly sounds like taking a step backwards and go the easy way...

Edits: 08/08/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - problem with first order network - KanedaK 02:26:40 08/08/16 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.