Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Playing with acoustic foam :)

They are more LaScala-alike (lol) than you might think: they started as a pair of LaScalas, a split pair. Not a "professional" version: they were split because the previous owner turned a normal, raw pair of LS into a split pair, added protection corners, and used them as PA speakers for years.

Then they ended up in my bedroom; I was still a teenager, almost. I paid a cheap price for them: around 400$; the woofers were not original, and they were rough and beaten up and ugly, but I immediately fell in love.

I started by buying brand new K33E woofers ( the ones I still use), then over the last 18 years , little by little, I modded them, every time funds allowed: as much as I loved them, as much I felt there was room for improvement. But there was NO WAY I would part with them.

First went the K400 horns, replaced them with the SM120 horns from EV, sitting on top of the bass bins, with the T35 (K77) sitting on top of them. Then I bought the Beyma CP25 tweeters, and that was also a big step forward; that's when I built the box to hold midrange and treble drivers together. Then, and that was like 6 years ago, I bought ALK Universal crossovers. Again, massive step forward, and I was more and more in love with my "Klipsch".

Over all those years, annoyed by some rattling noises and resonances from my bass horns, I had made the plan in the corner of my head to one day brace the bass horns and that would be the final step. But then I came across those Peavey bass horns, and they solve the bracing problem, while adding more clarity and dynamics in the lower midrange. I couldn't pass...

So basically, they still use the Klipsch woofers, the Klipsch mid drivers, the Klipsch crossover frequencies (even tho the ALK crossover is NOT from KLipsch, it is made for klipsch products, using the same frequencies and, to a certain margin, slopes); the bass horn, while not being Klipsch anymore, uses the same design, only not having size constrains. So to me, they are like the "Ultimate LaScala", sharing the same philosophy and all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.