Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Klipsch LaScala )( Peavey FH-1

I've been using for the last 15 years a pair of heavily modded Klipsch LaScalas.

The bass bins are the only "original" parts, and are using the K33E woofers, but they have seen better days, and they are also prone to vibrating at some frequencies, wich I really hate... I long thought about making them stronger (braces, outside layer of plywood) but in the meantime I've been interested in finding a pair of Peavey FH-1 instead.

From what I can see online, the FH-1 is a "better lascala", being bigger, longer, with no parallel sides in the horn, corner reflectors, braces, and a heavier construction less prone to rattle.

I can now buy a pair of very ugly but structurally sound pair of FH-1 here i Belgium (not easy to find!) for the ridiculous amount of 70euro for the pair.

Now what I would like to know is: if I keep everything I have the same and just switch bass horns, will I have much difference in sound? If difference there is, will it be for the better?

I use ALK "Universal" crossover networks, K33E woofers, K55v mids + EV SM120A horns, Beyma CP25 tweeters. it all sounds great but I really feel the poor construction of the bass horn is the weak link here.

I also have a separate, powered Beyma 15inch subwoofer for frequencies under 50Hz.

What do you guys think? Are the FH-1 worth the effort of picking them up, making them look good again (repaint job, at least), or won't it improve anything over the stock LaScala horns?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Klipsch LaScala )( Peavey FH-1 - KanedaK 05:56:54 07/28/16 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.