Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Hiraga Altec crossover question

Hi alex,

Sounds like a great project but I know nothing about the Vitavox parts. Few Vitavox units found their way over here. I heard a few Vita systems sounding good in Korea, where some vintage guys love Vitavox.

The Hiraga Xxover was intended to make the A5 more or less a two way, possibly with a super tweeter added very high, 10kc + for air and sparkle.

If you are going to use an actual tweeter, you can start with a standard 12dB crossover and add the tweeter where the midrange horn runs out.

The HF peaking feature of the Hiraga can be adapted for other systems but you need to know the response of the midrange horn. The idea of a series resistor to lower output bypassed with a capacitor calculated for the frequency where the HF response of the horn starts to roll off was/is common in pro sound.

These days such EQ is probably more commonly included in analog or digital crossovers rather than passive xovers. Modern controlled directivity horns are engineered to get the desired pattern, then EQ is used to get smooth frequency response.

In short, the Hiraga approach might be useful with your Vitavox but could require some adjustment

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.