Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Hiraga Altec crossover question

The EQ in the crossover has two features. L3 + R4 is a broad "notch" to shelve the 3k peak and the 24 ohm + 0.82uF is a classic peaking circuit.

The peak happens because as the frequency rises, the cap comes into play and bypasses the 24 ohm resistor, which forms a voltage divider with the 10 ohm. As frequency increases it is "turning down" the 24 ohm like a volume control, so to speak.

At low frequencies it is like the cap is not there and you only have a 2 resistor voltage divider, At high frequencies the 24 ohm "dissappears" due to the cap shorting it out for AC. At 8kc, the 0.82uF cap offers 24 ohms impedance so half of the resistor is "disappeared."

If you slightly increase the 24 ohm to 28 or 30 ohms, you will have more attenuation at the lower frequencies where it is a pure 2 resistor voltage divider and the same output at the top end because R3 is "disappeared."

I did exactly this with my Hiraga crossover (on 288C and 1505) but it was many moons ago and I forget the details. I found the lower mids to be slightly too hot with the stock values, maybe in part because I was using an Onken/416 bass cab not a VOT box.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.