Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Does the criticism of line arrays apply to HORN line arrays of limited length?

It has become commonplace to criticize the sound of the line arrays that are frequently used in sound reinforcement. First we must understand that these are direct radiator boxes with limited efficiency and require long lines to reproduce lower freqs in the nearfield. That kind of length really prevents them from functioning as one long speaker which is what they are trying to accomplish in theory.

It has been said by Tomservo that "A true point source in a large horn can have much greater throw, have little or no distance related spectral change, sounds better, is more intelligible and is smaller, with the down side of being a smaller sale for the dealer." And I won´t disagree with his findings I will only add that in very powerful point source horns not splitting the direction of the output as per using different boxes may result in all in your face sound. But it really depends on the application and with speaker positioning this can be controlled.

But in regards to HORN line arrays the high efficiency associated with these allows a limited number of boxes to be used. These will then perform as a virtual point source while also splitting the output giving easier SPL coverage. I do not believe the above criticisms of direct radiator line arrays apply to horn line arrays for that reason.

Rafaro

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Does the criticism of line arrays apply to HORN line arrays of limited length? - Rafaro 17:43:40 06/19/16 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.