Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 414 out to 8K..

I simply used a 2.5uF WE oil cap on the tweeter. 8 ohm 802-g and 414A.

You have to halve that value for 16 ohms.

These values are for an 8kc knee.

I'd say the cap value is not super critical with such a slow and gradual rolloff. 2.5-3uf for 8 ohms/1.25-1.5uf for 16 ohms. The higher values might be a little bit better but I used the best sounding caps I had which were of the lower value.

If the top end is a little too hot with your drivers and cabinet, use an L pad. I built an attenuator out of loose resistors. I think it was in the -3 to 5dB range. I forget.

I don't know the 414C...only used A and Zs and I don't know which drivers you're using. Should still work but, as suggested, you decide. It is a cheap experiment.

If you are not using 802s, who knows what you will get, but try it. I doubt 806/804s will have enough HF output to pull it off though.

The presumed advantage is to get the crossover out of the way of that well behaved 12". 802s on 32 horns, crossed first order way high up, work real well in consort, or at least I think so. The few people who have been over when I had this set up thought so too.

I also tried a variety of high efficiency tweeters cut in at 8kc above a 414 running full range and some were quite good, but I liked the flavor of the 802/32 best.

I have a pair of just-rebuilt/remagnetized 802Ds that I want to try some year on 32s with my current WE 728Bs when I'm not feeling lazy. Maybe this will be that year!

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.