Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: programs for testing speaker response

If your speakers are built, then you've fixed a couple of the variables - what the drivers are, the raw response they'll have, and their physical location relative to each other. The remaining work is to design filters that make the drivers work together in the best way possible. This is typically what determines a lot of how good a speaker will be. If you use the best components in the world but design bad filters for the drivers, it will still sound like crap.

I'm not saying you have to measure outside, but I've found it much easier to get good results if I design the filters for the drivers in an environment where I don't see the effect of the room and then tweak the response of the total system in the room without having to worry about whether I've got the crossover right or not.

Parking lots are usually my go-to places, like school parking lots on the weekend. I'll do a ground plane measurement where you place the mic on the ground to eliminate reflections up to a fairly high frequency. I typically use a laptop and a UPS to power my measurement system and amp. If you get a decent sized one it will go for a couple of hours. You definitely want to have your process down cold before you go do that though. You also want to be aware of what the noise floor is - take a measurement without any of the drivers playing and compare it to what you get when you measure the drivers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.