Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: programs for testing speaker response

Hi John

With REW an initial un-smoothed measurement will provide a useless "too much grass" type of graph. A 6 dB smoothed graph will make the same measurement look similar to the frequency response graphs in Stereophile, though the scaling is different. At 24 dB smoothing with REW most of the detail is lost. Perhaps things are different with Speaker Workshop, which I've never used. Maybe it's a difference in nomenclature between the two systems.

As to doing measurements outdoors, that's "nice work if you can get it" as the song says. I live on a gentrifying block with at least two or three new or rehab house projects going on at any time, I'm a block away from a train line which is also next to the elevated train line, which is all under a glide path for O Hare airport. The presidential helicopter frequently flies over my house.

Don Keele observed that one of the weaknesses with these time delay sampling techniques was the one-size-fits-all sampling rate, and he suggested that the sampling rate should be longer at the lower frequency end, and higher at the high frequency end. REW uses the same same rate as far as I recall, perhaps some of the more sophisticated (non-free) programs use a sampling rate adjusted to the frequency. Keel's AES paper Time-Frequency Display of Electro-Acoustic Data Using Cycle-Octave Wavelet Transforms is a good read. He comes to a similar conclusion that Heyser did in that time-frequency displays suffer from quantum-like uncertainty because you can't get arbitrarily precise in one domain without getting less precise in the other.

I miss your JHS website!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: programs for testing speaker response - Paul Eizik 14:45:54 05/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.