Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec 828 vott

Ohh no, my audio mentor and friend, Dennis Fraker, ( who has owned MANY MANY VOTTs as he was in that theatre busines ) LIKES the sound of a stock box when not played super loud, and he advised me to NOT add bracing.

But SOMETHING needs to be done to stabilize the flimsy 5/8ths wood on an early 825 box. A rebuild from scratch, with Baltic birch, 2 inch thick on the TOP and 1 inch all other places, and long spikes, would be nice to try one day.

I developed my own solution - I listened and ended up doing MASS LOADING of my 825 TOTALLY STOCK enclosures. Each of the red concrete blocks were 16.6 pounds, and I added blocks - all BY EAR 'till "I" liked it, without killing the sound by over-damping and over-bracing. I even use the STOCK reflex port. Notice, I had to mass load my crossovers, to get them to sound their best. 12 to 14 pounds got them into their sweet spot. I mass load my Type 45 SET amp also.

But, I have a VERY WELL wired pair of VOTTs. For example, to each woofer, I use TWO times 12 AWG Mil Spec wire, which is the equivalent of 9 AWG, to each terminal / polarity. And, I use NO physical / mechanical connectors to my 515Bs and 802Ds, I Wonder-SOLDER the speaker leads to the terminals that holds the voice coil wires. Crossover is all hard wired and soldered. Amp-to-speaker leads are THREE times 12 AWG for each polarity.

Don't have it "all" together yet, just got the 825 enclosures Dec. 2015. But, I am getting closer. I use a WELL WIRED well made Type 45 DC SET amp, and its very dynamic and fun. Need a few more months to dial it in.

Everything matters, ALTEC tells the truth on set up, VERY demanding of user, to optimize it, but- very responsive !!

Nice stuff, glad to have it.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 05/10/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Altec 828 vott - drlowmu 09:54:04 05/10/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.