Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Single driver love/hate ?

The OP was asking about Single drivers...not 3 way designs. I get your point that you could build an OK sounding speaker using a "full range" driver and augmenting the bass and highs for less money. I'm offering up my experience of a single driver horn that is very meticulously built and sounds waaaay better than it should! No crossover, no sub, and no tweeter!

The biggest problems with mostly all single driver designs is the enclosure and how it reacts with the room. Charney designed his horns on the Tractrix Theory and the result is phenomenal. The rear loaded horn seems to "couple" with the room. I listened to them at Charneys 14x19x9 room and at a nearby customers (friend of Charney) room that is a narrow attic room with sloped left and right walls that went from 4' to 8' and about 13'w and 15'l. Both rooms sounded fantastic with very good bass and only small panels for the first reflection point.

BTW: My Maestros will be ready in late May.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.