Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bassreflex - block the ports and add a subwoofer?

yeah yeah yeah!

block those ports! if it's ported... it's distorted! i've always been a fan of sealed speakers after liking a friend's pair of 4 1/4" infinity 2 ways that had the tightest bass i'd ever heard, if not the deepest and after learning more about acoustic suspension in audio magazine, decided i'd never own a pair of ported speakers.

port lovers really get bent out of shape when you point out all the ways ports distort: phase, overhang, transient smearing, less woofer control & that dreaded 1 note bass resonance and will deny the distortions no matter how many technical papers you throw at them.

if you want more bass out of acoustic suspension, either add more power with a bass boost/EQ or add more woofers for higher efficiency. bass rolloff is the ONLY negative with sealed.

i just bought a pair of nice 96dB 8" 2 way proels for $100 for a bicycle trailer system and plan to plug their ports as soon as i add a pair of 12" high efficiency 12s in a sealed car box.

what you lose in extension plugging ports, you gain in speed and clarity. resonant bass gives me a headache.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bassreflex - block the ports and add a subwoofer? - thump 04:34:48 04/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.