Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Single driver love/hate ?

I have had a few different full range single range driver speakers over the years, and listened to many others. I have owned 3 types of Omega's (all with subs), Lowther Medallion II's, and my current speaker Shelby+Kroll monitors which are a full range driver with a tweeter that comes in above our hearing level. Some that I have listened to are Musical Affairs, Cardersound Sachiko, and Carfrae Little Big Horns.

All of the above, except Musical Affairs, were augmented with either a tweeter or subs. Which to me begs the question; Are they really Full Range Single Range Driver speakers? By definition a FRSD speaker should contain only 1 driver!

I recently had the pleasure of listening to Charney Audio Full Range Single Driver rear loaded horns based on the Traktrix Theory. I was gobsmacked at what I was hearing and not hearing. I heard deep clean bass with no sub! An engaging midrange that drew you into the music like a sultry siren. Sweet and extended highs with a deep and spacious soundstage! What I didn't hear was limited range with compressed break up at higher volumes.

Fit and finish are impeccable and eye pleasing works of art. If your near Somerset NJ which is about an hour from NYC, and 1.5 hours from Philadelphia, make an appointment and stop by for a listen. Brian is very hospitable and will answer questions you might have about his creations.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.