Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Just make the enclosure out of concrete and be done with it...

Vinnie,

That pillowcase just scratches the surface. Nice looking - I may copy that covering-type, however, on top of my tweeter horns.

The poster has likely not tried MULTIPLE iterations of weights, to see where it gets better and when it gets worse ( too much damping - takes the life away ).

"I" have listened to multiple iterations now, on almost all of the components in my new high-efficiency chain.

Vinnie, an all-concrete horn may be too damped, and in all these cases, one has to listen to iterations, to find the CORRECT amount of mass loading ( life-to-the-music versus over-damped ).

The differences I am hearing with controlled mass loading on ALTEC VOTTs are amazing to me.

Last night I experimented with mass loading my A7-800's re-done new crossover, with GREAT AUDIBLE SUCCESS. ( Surprisingly more dynamic range contrasting - WOW, noticeably better diction on voices, " S's and Th's " became beautiful to hear, ALSO, got better harmonic content, a richer-sounding overall presentation ). Engrossing mentally me.

I am now contemplating the best way to add additional mass to the crossover ( in iterations ), to determine the optimal amount of mass first, and then, how to implement it permanently to the crossover.

( At last, I have found one GOOD use for ALL those large heavy 10 HY chokes I removed from every tube amp I could get my hands on !! ) :-)

Also, VERY interesting to me, I was at a " critical point " on mass loading the flimsy A7 VOTT 5/8ths inch thick 825 cabinets, so I had to take equal weight AWAY from the enclosures, that I had added to the crossovers. Each red concrete slab is 16.7 pounds.

This is all SO readily audible with my new digital source and new Type 45 DC amp. Also Vinnie, I'm very-very encouraged with what I am hearing, and the results of careful mass loading everything in the chain is blowing ole' Low Mu away.

I think 99.9% of the audio world has overlooked this !!! All I can say is try it - and hear it for yourselves. Be ACTIVE, not pre-disposed to the status quo.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 03/11/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.