Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What's The Best Available 15 Inch Coax Driver?

I have only owned and listened to Altec 604-8K's in 620 cabs. I have a friend that recently acquired some Tannoy 15" "Gold" DC's, can't remember the cabinet off hand, but he has a bevy of quality vintage, modern tube and SS amps to tango with them. I have always been curious of how the DC Tannoy's sound and I am looking forward to giving them a listen soon!

I am sure there will be many others who will chime in on your post/ I noticed you had a "double Ben" flavored cab, with Fostex's. I started off with the cheaper FE166 in a diy BK-16 (non kit) cabs, and by the time I was going to attempt to build a double ben like cab, I built a Bib.

Then found my 604k's. Talk about a difference in weight and response/dynamics! The larger types of Coax's just blew the Fostexs away with ease. Plus I did feel I needed the help of a subwoofer any longer.

I still have my Fostexs, my son is wanting a stereo in his room, so I am going build him a little mltl for him and match them up with some spare gear I have lying around.

If you get a chance to hear a pair of the larger coax/duplex/dc speakers, I would and determine if the meet/exceed what your current Fostex's are performing at.

I currently no longer own my old 604's, had to pay for a divorce. But, a few months after I sold my 604's, and got over the loss, a pair of one owner Altec 19's were offered to me for $400/pr. I had the cash and grabbed them as soon as I can.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What's The Best Available 15 Inch Coax Driver? - Oface 21:06:06 02/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.