Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Can I wind an optimized x-former for my needs?

The load presented to the amp in both situations is the same however the source impedance driving the speaker is different and lower in the case of the autoformer. It always bothered me how people rant about needing a low source impedance to drive a speaker and then insert an L-pad to match level. In your case it isn't too bad since you only needed 4dB of attenuation and the results are below.

However if we go to the case where the pad is taking a driver down 12dB it becomes a bit more clear what the autoformer is doing.

Note that the source impedance of the amp in this case is 1/10th of an ohm yet the speaker is being driven by 2-3 ohms in the L-pad case and a fraction of that in the autoformer case. I'm not suggesting that it is always a good thing to drive a speaker with a low source Z but it is something to be aware of. Just for fun lets assume we are driving this crossover from one of those antiquated tube amps with a 2 ohm output Z and see what happens.

not much change... lets look at both values on the same plot and it becomes clear that the output impedance of an amp has little effect on the damping factor of a driver.

I find it kind of comforting that even with a high output Z of a tube amp that an autoformer can still feed the driver from a fraction of an ohm.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.