Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What the world needs is a good 10-12" LF driver for horns !!

Hello Bill and group

In my modeling of 10-12" driver sub woofer horns the limiting factor in producing high SPL DEEP bass has always been the Xmax more than the power tolerance of the driver. This negates the advantages of 10-12" drivers... the sturdy the cones, the good power tolerance with 3" or greater diameter VC. There has been, over the last 20 or so years, improvement in driver design. The use of 2 or more points of magnetic interaction with the VC by using 2-3 magnets gives a stronger push to the cone but Xmax has seen little improvement. Experimentation with driver suspensions has shown me that there is potential for several inches of Xmax but the difficulty has been in maintaining magnetic flux linearity along the contact point(s) of the V.C.
A compact but expandable subwoofer horn cabinet 1/2 wavelength at 35 Hz with a 10" driver has already been designed but the driver requires an Xmax of about 30mm for maximal performance. Manufacturers have not yet reached this potential that I am aware of but maybe somebody knows different??

Regards to all

Rafaro

Edits: 02/03/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.