Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Herb Reichert: Our Man At Stereophile

Geary

That's another grievance I have against the Knights of the Soundstage: that a live symphony orchestra does'nt actually image all that well by the benchmarks they have established. If you close your eyes and try to visualize that you can accurately point to various instruments during a performance, you'll find that this just does'nt work much of the time. The string section, which is comprised of the first and second violins etc. is spread across the left and right. A solo violin can be localized of course. While a solo trumpet can be localized if your seat is near the axis of the horn, the rest of the brass section will not have the bells of their instruments pointed directly at you, so that most of their sound will be reflected. If the recording microphones are placed way up high, this will tend to flatten out the sound stage, but tighten up the localization of various instruments. As you point out this is an artifact which is probably not an accurate reproduction of the performance as someone would hear it in the actual human seats.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Herb Reichert: Our Man At Stereophile - Paul Eizik 21:40:18 01/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.