Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I forgot some stuff ...but wait (there's more !!)

Paul,
I'd have to agree with you 100% re: the golden age of audio journalism. I also, right here, offer you a great big thanks because I went back and starting reading, "Space, the Final Frontier" I have not read it all because my attention span at reading a monitor screen is very limited.
BUT......
I think (?) part of the jest is you can't have imaging on a high-efficiency system that can equal what a highly touted snobby slick mag system can do ? HOGWASH I say !! It's all in the setup. To wit, most of these hi-eff systems are kerplunked down in whatever space it will barely fit. Most of these hi-eff systems barely address the mid-bass, and even if they do that, the all-important deep bass is totally forgotten.
Oh, it's always the same moaning and groaning: "There's really nothing down there" "Oh that's where the MUD lives" (not Harry Mudd) and so on and so on. What I see more often is this great big huge mid range horn often times loaded with a 112db/watt compression driver which runs the mid range par secter about 10 db's hotter than the rest and with rampant exclamations on mid range DETAIL MAN, listen to that detail !!
I have a really good friend with a totally decked out/modded Klipsch LaScala system. It sounds pretty darn good. It's showcased in a marvelously decorated room worthy of high-praise from Martha Stewart.
This is as opposed to my place which would earn high-praise from Oscar Madison,
but, "The [devoted]audio room is set-up PROPER-LIKE". We listen to music at his place and it sounds just fine; mellow,yet full bodied, very polite. Then, days later he comes to my place and listens to the very same (for example,
wake up your ears, "do the waap because you haven't dome nuthin !!" )
...and his jaw drops when the tenor sax jumps out 6 feet to the left of her singing with such intensity while the acoustic bass rocks the room with such definition and authority....he is almost speechless. Upon recovery, he remarks about such "incredible imaging" to which I reply,
"It's all in the set-up" (meaning total system execution). And you know what really gets their goat ? I am not a doctor, Lawyer, or engineer, such that there is NO-WAY I am able to do exactly what I am doing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I forgot some stuff ...but wait (there's more !!) - Scott L 04:42:03 01/09/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.