Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Herb Reichert: Our Man At Stereophile

Scott

So you've heard proper horn rigs numbering less than one, so I have to assume that you've heard half of a proper stereo horn rig, which would mean a proper mono horn rig? That's okay as I've heard a really good mono horn rig done by former regular here John Sheerin some years ago. Several people commented that they had difficulty forgetting that this was a mono rig. Vinnie Gallo promoted a back to mono movement in Sound Practices magazine back in the 90's. By the term "vintage audiophiles" I mean old guys who've been there and wrecked that, and heard it all. These people typically have been brainwashed by the Altec V.O.T. speakers they heard (but likely never saw) behind the movie theater screens while growing up in the 40's, 50's, 60's and well into the 70's. Many people have heard proper horn rigs, but just did'nt know it.

As to not auditioning other peoples systems, I have to disagree. Every horn person should cultivate a S.S. direct radiator listening friend, as this person's rig will become you're reference for what the average guy would be able to assemble from the typical list of Stereophile/TAS recommended components. If you've done your work well, it should become obvious that it takes a horn to catch a horn, and alway has.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.