Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Not Really

Hi Bare, not to burst your bubble but your Mark Audio 4" "wide-range" drivers would hardly qualify as being the full range horn system that drummerwill wanted to work with his single stereo amp! Heck if a "wide-range" driver would have fit this bill, I would have suggested he try something like my Sachiko double-back-loaded horns with PS220-8 8" "wide-range" drivers shown below. Add a pair of Fostex T900a super-tweeters (not shown) crossed in at 9.5KHz and your good from nice taunt 40Hz's to 35Khz!

These would come much closer to the full range horn system that drummerwill wanted! Plus the Sachiko cabinets with the PS220-8 8" "wide-range" drivers allow me to play a small 4 piece ensemble with all the delicacy, inner-detail, correct harmonic tone, color and timbre that one would expect to hear when using a Reference level SET amp and high-quality "wide-range" drivers. Yet on the very next song I can switch from chamber music to playing Prog-rock like "Miracles From Nowhere" by Kansas at SPLs of 100dB+ with amazing dynamics and lightning fast transient response while retaining all the delicacy, inner-detail, correct harmonic tone, color and timbre I heard with the chamber music but, absolutely no "Lowther shout" or the slightest hint of strain! The best way to describe the Sachiko/Dayton PS220-8 combo's sound is to have you imagine listening to a set of ESLs, ribbon or planar speakers that now have a 98dB sensitivity rating and much, much better bass & treble extension! That will give you just a hint of an idea of what I'm talking about.

This sound really needs to be heard to be believed. The best part is these speakers are easily duplicated. So anyone who hears them and likes what they hear can build the exact same speakers for themselves.

I'm listening to: Home Again by Thom Rotella

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not Really - thetubeguy1954 11:33:02 12/15/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.