Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

OK, I am gonna stay on my coaxial soapbox for a few more moments :-)

A few weeks ago (and I think I "mentioned" this here previously, and I apologize for being redundant!) I finally got around to bringing another, far more modest pair of coaxial loudspeakers online upstairs.

I've long owned a pair of the inexpensive (back when new, and still today) pair of Electrovoice's very-much 'entry level' 12" "three-way" coaxes: the EV Wolverine LT-12.

The LT-12 is, in essence, an EV LS-12 fullrange's woofer and whizzer (though not identical) in a slightly different (but still cast & beautifully finished) basket, with a coaxially mounted EV T35B (I assume it's the "B" variant) compression tweeter/diffraction horn and built-in crossover.

The "finally" is because, thanks to a local friend's astute eye, I finally have a more-or-less :-) matched pair of cabinets for 'em. The cabinets look like EV Aristocrats, but they're just simple vented cabinets designed for corner placement, not folded horns.

Still, in the ethos of 1950s hifi, close enough is close enough, so I put the LT12s in the cabinets, lugged 'em upstairs (none too large nor heavy, especially compared to the Altecs!) and hooked 'em up to the SE 2A3 amp and the usual array of upstream/source suspects.

These little suckers sound good. Really good. OK, in these cabinets (even not in corners), they are obviously underdamped, with a pronounced midbass warmth that's unmistakable but (at least to me) not objectionable. But boy howdy is the midrange clean, present and really flesh-and-bloody (in the best possible way, not in a gross way!).

I am sittin' here right now listening to Sting's "A Winter's Tale" CD -- which, if nothing else, is beautifully recorded and mastered -- and it is just as warm, rich, inviting and beguiling as I could want. The vocal presence is just right. The treble from these is, for whatever reason, so much cleaner and smoother to me than the usual T35 ear-gougery (think Klipsch Heresy!). And the depth and image in the sweet spot are absolutely dandy.

Now, here's the point of this harangue. I think the grand total invested in these is about $100. Driven by a good and empathetic amplifier (i.e., the 2A3) they're in the Duplex ballpark, at ca. a twentieth of the investment.

I guess my final comment: if you're thinking fullrange/coax and you're unsure of what you're getting yourself into; try something like this/these. The price of entry is so low, and the result so right... it's a pretty good risk. If you don't like these, I don't think you'd like the big dogs, either.

Happy holidays, y'all.

LT12 3
all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - OK, I am gonna stay on my coaxial soapbox for a few more moments :-) - mhardy6647 08:40:42 12/04/15 (26)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.