Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

SET? Some alternatives of lower cost.

If they have similar impedance issues to the Odeon Traviata tested by Stereophile, you might need an amp that has a lower output impedance than typical SETs. To cope with dips and phase angles.

So, if it were me I'd be keeping your VAC mono-blocks (100wpc?) but have them connected in triode mode. But before that - see below - I'd try them on the 4ohm and 8 ohm taps tap and choose. It is likely that they will be less coloured off the 4 ohm tap. Do try it.

If you have the owners manual - the one for the MKII is on line - read up about using the taps. You may find that you should use two of the taps. To damp the lowest impedance dip.

Triode mode will have even better damping factor off either tap. On the MKIIs it gives 57 watts, not 30 watts. About 60% of UL (part triode) is typical.

How much less travel on the volume knob (pot) are you using than with the previous speakers. If it is a lot less you may not be in the pot's cleanest range. Have you yet tried them on large loud pieces of music, like say Mahler?

If they are out of warranty get a local techie to set them up in triode mode / put in a switch so that you still have the option / if you wanted to sell them. They can also adjust the gain down - if needed.

LBNL I think you will find that the bass cabinet is more akin to a reflex box.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.