Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Crossovers are NOT easy!

The electrical behavior of the crossover depends strongly on the impedance - both resistive and reactive parts - over a wide range around the crossover frequency. Typically, in my experience, a range of 2 octaves either side of the crossover (total four octaves) for second order crossovers.

There are things that can be done to make the load impedance more nearly constant and resistive, but they are neither simple nor easy to figure out.

In addition, you need to include the acoustic response in the design, unless it is essentially flat over that same range. No reasonable horn and driver is going to be flat over the range 80-1300Hz (325Hz +/- 2 octaves).

Without having both impedance and acoustic response (magnitude and phase) plus either a good understanding of filter design or a good optimization software, the only reasonable course is to invest in an acoustic measuring setup, and experiment with design topologies and component values until the net response looks good. It is usual to end up with a net acoustic response that is higher order than the electrical filter. As an extreme example, I once made a fourth order highpass for a horn driver that used only a single capacitor. That was pure luck, more than clever design; you just have to be open to such unanticipated possibilities.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Crossovers are NOT easy! - Paul Joppa 11:41:30 10/09/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.