Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Large Tannoy DCs on OB?

I do measurements with pink noise & a Rat Shack meter with adjustments made for its non-linearities. It is good enough; it easily reveals speakers with marked frequency response aberrations (i.e., the vast majority of widebander or widebander-based speakers which have not just peaks but a progressively rising response and/or a big shelf in the 1.5-3K region - things that we *hear* quite readily).

The great thing about the Altec/GPA driver (with a good xover, that is) is that it doesn't suffer from such defects yet is still extremely efficient - an honest 100 dB/W with quite flat eight-ohm-nominal impedance.

Putting the driver on an OB doesn't affect that quality, of course. Below 100 Hz or so, the room has as much or more effect on response as the speaker. Then there is the floor-bounce effect. What do the spreadsheets say when these are taken into account? These speakers put out realistic amounts of presence region energy.

There is a reason why at least one well-known member here (who'd also owned lots of gear) used these very speakers (Altec 604s on JE Labs baffles) as a long-term reference, why Yamamoto sold essentially the same speaker, why the Quad 57 (nearly identical in shape and power response) is such a classic.

But, honestly, I'm not out to convince anyone of anything. I really do not care. But, as long as you do not display any serious and stubborn misunderstandings of the basics of acoustics and speaker design (such as not understanding that a compression driver with a horn on it doesn't radiate to the rear even if you take off the back of the speaker!) I'd be happy to have a conversation with you. :) (As my limited time allows.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.