Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Why.. did you ask ?

Hi Paul,

I have a pair of Tannoy MG15's I have reserved to try out in OB. I read this thread hoping to find out what others might be doing but only found resistance to the idea. I have built about 8 pairs of OB using a variety of speakers including the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 15's.

I think you are perhaps making one mistake, and that is debating this with people who have a negative attitude and who clearly do not understand the OB potential.

The Silver Iris is based on a cheap 15" Eminence with a high Qts of about 1.2 and provides surprisingly good bass although it could be better detailed and defined. The overall sound is fun but a little unrefined with cheap XO and bottom of the range Eminence compression driver.

The Tannoy has a Qts of about 0.2 and will need help in the bass area regardless of baffle size (within reason ) The problem with increasing baffle width is it presents a huge reflective surface in the room and destroys OB's main attribute, spaciousness. I am considering using some 12" servo subs to augment the lowest 2 octaves. I will high-pass the Tannoys at about 80Hz with a 12dB LLPXO to keep the VLF from unnecessarily modulating the Tannoy cone. The resulting XO slope will nicely match the sealed box subs.

Previous experiments show a huge improvement in midrange clarity and expression when cone is freed from trying to also produce low bass. With low power handling, 65W if i remember, removing bass from the voice coil will allow the system to play louder with less thermal compression. This applies with varying degrees to all speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.