Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec 1505B horns?

The 13A was meant to be used in combination with the 12As, not as a stand alone piece.

My bud in Korea has a stereo 12A/13A setup in a 40 foot high, wood walled room and on certain kinds of music, like big orchestral, it sounds quite real. Amazingly real.

This was the FIRST attempt at a "high fidelity" speaker too. Incredible accomplishment.

I get to hear and play with a lot of rare, superb, and enormous theater speakers in my audio work. Great stuff but I don't desire to own this kind of thing anymore as long as I get to play! I took things as far as I could when I had some room for it but this is no longer the case.

The important thing is to have that catalog of amazing sounds stored in your head. Just to know what can be done is liberating.

Plus I can't afford what I think to be "the best" anymore. We're talking $50k++ for a pair of WE 594As and horns.

I'm now working on compact setups that are not total sell outs to home decor. I'm currently building a 4 cu.ft. cab with WE 728Bs with 32B horns and 802s. Should be finished today, in fact! Tiny, relatively speaking. Hope it makes me happy.

I will look into an undersized OB for those GIP 18"ers. Since I caved in and sold my Onkens, I have some political capital to exercise in my next speaker adventure.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.