Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec 1505B horns?

Kloss, the VOT box is a ported cabinet.

What I believe is going on with the horn on the 828 is that it is acting more as a waveguide or lens than an impedance transformer, although the two concepts are related.

I think it is there to narrow the dispersion of the 15" to match that of the midrange horn at crossover freq to present a smoother transition. In a way, it provides a transition from reflex loading to horn loading as well.

I think that the wings seen in theater installations above and next to the 828 style cabinets is also part of this directionality plan. Reflex. OB and horn loading combined to engineer dispersion.

You can find this same approach in earlier WE designs.

I've tried VOT cabinets. I found them peaky and ragged but kind of exciting at the same time. Surely Hiraga fixed all of that with some secret sauce in the rig at ETF. ;op

The best bass I ever heard comes out of open baffle, front horn loaded Western Electric LF cabinets. Those things turn off and on in a flash. Most bass cabinets store energy and smear the notes, but those old field coil OBs don't. It is a shocking difference from what we are used to hearing.

And the obvious next step is full range single driver horn. Some of the early WE systems got most of the way there (70-80hz-6000hz) but even that compromise yields a horn that will not fit through the door of the house.

No doubt that a full large format VOT system (preferably with wings) is quite impressive and a great audio historical artifact and if you can pull it off, go for it. I wish I could.

I own a pair of fantastic 18" GIP field coil woofers that are built like WE TA-4181s and I just can't figure out a way to pull off the cabinets where I live. Downtown DC is no place for home full-scale theater horn systems.

My wife even convinced me to sell my Petite Onken/414 cabs last week. I consider that a tidy and compact solution. I tell ya, it's bad around here.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.