Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec 1505B horns?

I briefly had 805 horns several times but I used to believe that running the horn as low as possible is the only answer, so I never gave them their proper due.

Not so sure about that anymore. If 805s are around, and they are relatively abundant it seems, I'd give them a shot.

I did many of my Altec experiments back in an era when you could get all the Altec you wanted cheap and sometimes even free. In the 80s, pro sound gave up on this stuff because of the 300W amp craze. Lots of surplus that people wanted to clear out for space.

It was easy and cheap to be a super snob. Now there is a massive pile of worldwide collectors, users, and cash chasing these things, so the competition is stiff...unless you can score a local cash deal old-school "U call, I haul" style. In the iphone ebay lookup era, that is increasingly unlikely.

Sometimes I wish I had my "rare" 1505s back but they would not fit onto a packed moving truck. I should have left some furniture and kept those instead. That was my main rig for 10+ years.

I am not a fan of the ubiquitous 511 and 811 horns, but most of the large format + multicell Altec gear is pretty good at what it does.

The 1" 802s are also great but you have to find a good horn to go with them. That's where I am focusing my attention these days.

I can't see replica multicells being a good deal. Given the incredible labor and shipping costs involved, the price can't be too attractive. I don't even know anybody making replicas of Altec multicells, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.