Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec 1505B horns?

If given a choice between 1505 and 1005, I would definitely take the 1505s.

I compared the two at length in a domestic situation and found the 1505 to be subjectively rich and free of hotspots, which the 1005 was not.

The ten cell horn had noticeable beaming issues in my setup, apparent when sitting down then standing up...I could hear strong vertical lobing. If I pointed the lobe toward my head in the listening seat, it was too hot.

Some of this lobing may have been the interaction/interference of the 10 cell with the woofer in my Onken, but I didn't get it with the 1505. I felt that I could hear the disjunction between the top and bottom rows of cells.

The 1505 configuration has a center cell...one cell in the middle, if you look at it. I pointed that right at my head in the listening zone.

Basically, I was being picky and had both horns to choose from. I'd use either one, but they did strike me as rather different in character. I thought the 1005 more aggressive, which some might like, and the 1505 more fat and rich, which I liked. Both are good.

Sadly, these horns ain't free anymore, but it should still be possible to score a pair for less than it must cost to buy modern repros.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.