Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Why.. did you ask ?

Paul I am still confused about your claim that open baffles don't interact with the room, it is quite apparent that they do.
That is what creates that "chorus" effect that one could attribute as the open baffle sound.

Open baffle sounds neat with songs that have rain in them. I had a little pair of 8" open baffles that was amazing with rain, or other background noises, "atmosphere" etc.

If you are satisfied not having any bass, then by all means...you don't need our approval.
Just watch that you don't bottom them out.

FWIW boxes aren't all that bad, if you build 'em big enough a lot of problems can be minimized. BR specs that can approach or exceed that of a sealed box, but yet goes deeper, if you have the space.

If you are willing to experiment, consider building the 50/40 corner soffit cabinets for your duplex.
I am reasonably confident it will be the best imaging you've ever heard.
You will feel as though you can reach out and touch the microphone Norah Jones is singing into. Eerily realistic.

With the wattage and listening levels I use, the box doesn't really get excited. It's pretty big and heavy, so the relative air pressures will be lower then that of typical small boxes. I have yet to identify any colourations. If I crank it all the way up, the horn section starts to sound like a horn, but at my regular listening levels that is not a concern.

Controlled spacial realism like the 50/40 cannot be had with the dipoles, the dipoles flood the room with too much information. Too much nulling and doubling up going on to have that sharp audio focus.
(Unless perhaps you stay relatively near-field.)

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.