Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec Model 19 - N1201-8A Crossover Question

i have a pair of M19s and my take on the X-over controls is:

1. The controls while commercially avail L-pads are actually connected in-circuit such that they're really simple rheostats. One control makes use of the 8 ohm section and the other uses the 35 ohm section.

2. The 8 ohm control affects all frequencies above the ~1200Hz Xover point. The 35 ohm control is part of a bridged "T" attenuation network designed to introduce a variable midrange dip in response. The mid response dip is greatest when the 35 ohm control is set to 0 ohms and is minimum at 35 ohms. Since the Altec driver/horn combo has a pronounced midrange "prominence", the 35 ohm control appears to provide a midrange boost or cut depending on its setting.

I modeled the electrical response of the Xover some time ago. The plots from the model were "interesting". I'll edit a plot or two into this post if I can locate the model on my computer.

I found achieving proper adjustment of the controls to be counter intuitive compared to pretty much every other speaker I've owned because they greatly interact with each other. I ended up setting them by ear using an iterative process.

Edits: 08/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.