Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: My Zilch Z19 Xover pic

Here is what I would do:

(1) Crossover wiring is inadequate, Double UP all wiring with EXACTLY equal lengths of wire. I am talking about the 5 Red and 2 Green you show. Two EQUALLY long electron paths are better than one. UN-EQUAL lengths will "ghost" and be a degrade.

(2) Film capacitors, for best sonics, should not (a) touch each other or (b) other parts like inductors, or (c) the chassis if its a metallic chassis.

See my photo, above, of one no-touch solution.

(3) Wiring from the crossover to the woofer should be paralleled EQUAL length heavy wire, two conductors for the woofer positive, two conductors for the woofer negative.

I often use doubled-up Fulton Brown speaker wire ( about 10 AWG, each run, or 7 AWG equivalent ) or doubled up 12 AWG Mil Spec copper-silver wire ( 9 AWG equivalent ) from crossover to woofer terminals. Huge difference with SET amplification.

(4) I would think every film cap bank in there needs to be bypassed with somewhere between 2.2 to 10 nF of a HIGH quality film cap, as a minimum effort. Do that, only AFTER you ascertain correct operation, and the main caps break in.

Its going to BLOW your mind when you discover such a small value bypass film cap on the tweeter, will audibly improve the low end !! Ha, that will be cool for you to hear and discover.

Have fun.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/15/15 08/15/15 08/15/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.