Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

GPA 902/QSC/MCM 55-1880/Z19 combo.

I have finally found the combo of components and speaker drivers to start my 2 way speaker build.

after a few weeks of trying different CD's, Xovers and now capacitors within the xover...I'm now ready to start the building of my 2 way system using Zilch's Z19 xover.

This will consist of the GPA 902 CD with QSC horn. Also, I will keep the MCM 55-1880 16" woofer. these components with Zilch's Z19 have brought the sound I was after.

The Z19 is a touchy Xover and with very fine adjustments brings big changes in sound, took me a couple of days to fine tune the system to where it sounds best in my home.

The Z19, when I first built it I used Solen caps and after a few days sound good, but nothing special. I was reading some reviews over Humble Homemade Hifi website and came across a review on a cap that kind of struck me by surprise and I took the chance and tried it. It was the Cornell Dubilier 940C capacitor. This cap is everything the guy said it was. Right off the bat, nothing was harsh, bright, or edgy. Vocals were really nice. so after 25 hours of break in these are just getting better and better. My brother came over and when he heard the prototype in the front room, the first thing he said "man, that speaker looks funny but sounds awesome. The trumpet player sounds like he is right here and so real." I was playing Freddie Hubbard. I must say that the highest value these caps go up to is 4.7uF. Very big bang for the buck!

The GPA 902 matches up really well with the QSC and I highly recommend this combo.

So now that I have settled on the crossover and caps to use with it. I can start the build and hopefully have a very nice speaker when I'm done.

one thing I need to mention is that the MCM 55-1880 woofer takes a long time to break in so if anyone is going to try this woofer, please give it at least 150-200 hours to break in. So far I like the way in blends in with the GPA 902.

I hope this helps!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - GPA 902/QSC/MCM 55-1880/Z19 combo. - Cougar 20:34:18 08/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.