Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Crossover cap question on single driver speakers

Some of you have probably seen the speakers that I frankensteined together out of a pair of 6 foot Diameter industrial aluminium light reflectors. I included a picture if you have not seen them. They have a Dayton point source driver (the smaller 3.5" one model PS95-8) I have a preamp with a tap for 80hz high pass and a sub out. I have experimented with cheap stereo receivers with a crossover and a sub and found that around 120hz was best with my 10" paradigm sub. Running full range without a crossover they sound lousy as they are trying to reproduce too full of a spectrum. I ordered some motor start capacitors 200MFD from ebay in order to run them with any plain preamp or cheap receiver. They are 8 ohm drivers and I figured this out to 100hz on an online speaker calculator. Here in lies the problem when I went to go tune in the sub I did not need it anymore. The sound is amazingly clear from low bass to things that I did not hear earlier in the midrange and snappy high frequencies. It is hot today in Nebraska and the humidity is high as well and I have noticed that they sound better this way. I am not a huge bass head and listening in my position which is 9' back from cone center with 10' between cones and plenty of spaghetti type acoustic tiles (around 200 sq foot in the rafters) in a 24 x 32 foot unattached garage. I was getting peaks of 100db in the listening position before the cones started bottoming out. I listened to Lyle Lovetts Step Inside This House tracks 1-3 and the sub was not needed where it was needed before. I put in the Grammy 2015 cd and Taylor Swift had too much going on to sound good at that level, but Ed Sheeran sounded amazing and I got details that I had never heard before. Any explanation on this?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Crossover cap question on single driver speakers - neilwpuls@hotmail.com 20:21:30 07/16/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.