Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: He already has that one

Perhaps my response was confusing (due in part to the inability to format pictures within the message here). Sorry for any misunderstanding.

The response that I posted was after gain corrections. I do have anechoic response for the driver and horn, but I'm not at liberty to post it here. I did confirm your question, however.

The output of this driver/horn has never been an issue, in fact it is very easy to drive.

A comment: there seems to be a tacitly stated mindset on pursuing extremely low power amplifiers driving reactive and resistive passive crossover networks, then driving both extremely high efficiency MF/HF drivers and lower efficiency woofers by padding down or by increasing input impedance to the higher efficiency driver portions of the passive networks. This is not how I do it and I don't recommend doing it that way--it really doesn't sound very good, IMHO.

Rather, active biamping with a high fidelity active digital crossover and direct driver control separates concerns and eliminates the need for adding losses in the signal path and worrying about absolute efficiency across the entire band. This enables the use of a single high fidelity MF/HF driver without attending issues of FM/AM and compression distortion of other cone-type drivers in 3-way systems--3-way systems that are typically designed with sheer output SPL in mind, i.e., not typically a goal of home sound reproduction systems.

I assume that you saw the resulting phase curve using IIR filters only - no phase correction was used except by adjusting digital delays for the one crossover point at 420 Hz. Other benefits also ensue, like the reduction of one crossover network over typical 3-way implementations, which is a really big deal for fidelity.

Additionally, if one focuses on some intermediate measure of merit, like reducing required input amplifier power in the above (not-recommended) configuration, it actually sub-optimizes the system-level goal of sound fidelity by focusing instead on that intermediate measure of merit to the detriment of system-level performance. I don't recommend doing it that way.

But I will acknowledge that way of thinking is a mind set that has developed over many years within the home entertainment community and I would add, largely by those that may not be consciously aware of the resulting effects of making those choices on output sound fidelity.

Since we're here actually blue-skying the design of the greater part of a sound reproduction system, I thought it would be prudent to explicitly state these observations. YMMV.

Chris
"As far as the ear can tell, consistently clean and spacious bass can be reproduced only by a driver unit coupled to a horn-type acoustic transformer..."; Jack Dinsdale, May 1974

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.