Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Thanks for the input's!

Hi Frank,

It's interesting you posted a link to John's 135hz horn. Same high pass. It came to my mind also. Inlow uses an 8" driver and it only goes up to 1000hz. It wouldn't be too much different from what Tom is talking about if you just stuck a coax on the end. Of course it's Tom that has "The Driver" sitting on his desk.

Chris has on his tag a quote by Dinsdale. Mr. Dinsdale wrote in an article about how you can overload the throat of a horn with high frequencies. He said that's why a horn is only good to about a decade from it's theoretical cutoff. I wonder if that is true. I wonder if it will come into play with Tom's proposed horn.

OTOH I wouldn't be surprised if this driver peeters out at 15khz. That would be just over a decade.

Of course it will beam, but if you look at the FR/impedance curve on the SM-60M it's very flat, of course on axis.

I always say you have two choices with horns. A wide dispersion that fills the house with music. That's good. Or you can, I think, have a narrow dispersion with small sweet spot that gives ultimate sound quality. That's good too. It's also why JMLC always kept two sets of horns around. The K-402 is a little of both. Being big doesn't hurt at all.

Jamie

Edit: Ooops, my math was wrong. 140hz to 15khz is more than TWO decades. I knew there was a reason warning bells were ringing.

------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 07/01/15 07/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks for the input's! - Mr_Steady 19:17:55 07/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.