Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: He already has that one

Claude, I believe that you hit on a good point.

What do you design to, i.e., coverage angles, based on where you're going to listen to the resulting products? Will anything be effectively done to the listening space? That's an interesting dilemma in terms of coverage design trades.

Personally, my preference is for wide controlled coverage: I'll work on my room to get the speakers integrated into the room acoustically--controlling early midrange and HF reflections, and addressing LF defects due to insufficient boundary coupling.

But I also see a LOT of people that actually do almost nothing acoustically even though they have a room with enough L x W X H dimensions and good placement options. I believe that many wind up with a very narrow coverage angles in both axes when the room isn't the best. It's an old story, I know, but one that I see especially in cases where those people should know how to fix it.

Lastly, I clearly understand those instances where the architectural environment isn't very good to start with, notably too small or poor relative dimensions/placement options. But that also sets an upper limit, I would think, on setup investment if the environment you're going to place them in is severely limiting.

I do know what I'd personally design to, however.

Chris
"As far as the ear can tell, consistently clean and spacious bass can be reproduced only by a driver unit coupled to a horn-type acoustic transformer..."; Jack Dinsdale, May 1974

Edits: 07/01/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.